LUKE 15: LOST AND FOUND
Below are some things to consider while reading Luke 15 today:
- The setting and context of this chapter is found in Luke 15:2-3b, 8, 11 “[T]he Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, ‘This man receives sinners and eats with them.’ So He told them this parable…[v8] Or what woman…[v11] And He said…” All these three parables found in Luke 15 are linked that end with the parable of The Prodigal Son AND his brother. Furthermore, the Pharisees and the scribes appear to be the primary target of the passage, even though others are listening.
- All three parables in this chapter, The Lost Sheep, The Lost Coin, and The Prodigal Son, are first and foremost allegories of how much the Father rejoices when lost, wayward people repent and return to Him even when they don’t seem to “deserve” such celebration (alluding to the tax collectors and sinners of verse one).
- Think about how cold the prodigal son is in verse twelve. Basically, he is saying, “I don’t want to wait for you to die, father; give me my inheritance now. I don’t want to be around you anymore anyway.” In that culture, it would be even worse than ours.
- Consider how the father not only lets his son go but almost enables the son to go by giving him his portion of the inheritance. The father in the parable corresponds to THE FATHER. How often do we pursue people when we should let them go? Think about the story of the rich ruler found in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, and Luke 18:18-30 – Jesus just let him go. Gary Chapman in his book, When to Walk Away, counts forty-one occurrences where Jesus deliberately parted ways with others. It seems heartless and against our nature, but this is the example Jesus set. Can you think of a time when Jesus ran after someone to rescue them from themselves? Consider how you might apply His example.
- When the son does return, think about how excited the father is. He runs to his son…what dignified man runs to his adult son that was once considered dead to him? It didn’t matter what his son had done because he repented and returned – that is what mattered. This is exactly what our Father does when we humbly run back to Him. This is demonstrated three times in the three different parables in this chapter to ensure we get it.
- The other son, the one who stayed and did all the right things but was clearly heartless (v. 29-30), seems from the context to represent the Pharisees and the scribes. This could also represent us Christians who are proud of our piety. However, when people humbly return (even if it is seventy times seven times c.f. Matthew 18:21-22) the father says, “it is fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost and is found.” What can we learn and apply from this?
by Michael Burner, Deacon Vice Chairman
Posted in Read Through the Bible
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER?RESOLVING CONFLICT AND DEALING WITH EVILWHAT KIND OF FRUIT DO YOU HAVE?GOD IS PROUD OF HIS SONPEACE IS A FUNCTION OF FOCUSTHE HEALING POWER OF JESUSGOD CALLS YOU BY NAMESMOKE AND MIRRORSBE A LIGHTWISE WORDSEXODUSCHOOSING THE RIGHT PATHGOD SEES AND HEARSWHO IS THE GREATEST IN THE KINGDOM?WARNING AGAINST FOLLY
HE HAS A PLAN FOR YOUTHE PLACE OF COMFORT AND SAFETYIT'S THE LITTLE THINGSBE ALERTMY GOD IS NOT TOO SMALLWHEN TO SPEAK AND WHEN NOT TO SPEAKGOD IS GRACIOUS TO USKEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUTSTAND STRONG FOR YOUR FAITHOUR HOPEDO I DO WHAT THE LORD ASKS OF ME?DON'T BE A SCHEMERA TREASURE HUNTLISTEN AND FOLLOWWORDS OF COMFORT OR WARNINGTHE POSSESSOR OCCUPIES AND FILLS THE POSSESSEDUNDIVIDED LOYALTY TO GODONE CONCESSION STAND
OUR GOD IS HOLY AND JUSTA CAUSE FOR OBEDIENCETELL THE COMING GENERATIONTHE PARABLE OF THE RICH FOOLSHINE YOUR FACE UPON USLISTEN UP!CHECK WITH GOD FIRST - HE KNOWS MORE THAN WE DOPSALM 86THAT IS ENOUGH SAIDDO YOU REMEMBER?TRANSITIONSSERVE ONE ANOTHERPROVERBS“Insignificant Does Not Equal Insignificant” (Judges 6)
JESUS IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!FINISHING WELLARE YOU THE TEACHER OF ISRAEL AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS?FORGETTING GOD IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTHREPENTANCE BRINGS MERCYGOD'S SOVEREIGN TIMING IS ALWAYS RIGHTWHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?A GODLY FATHERJESUS CARES FOR US - HE'S OUR SHEPHERDWHO DO YOU LISTEN TO?CARELESS SPEECHCONTINUE TO SERVE GODUNDIGNIFIED, HUMILIATED, AND GLORIFYING GOD!CLEAR PROMISESMEPHIBOSHETH AND THE KINGTRUST IN GOD'S LEADINGJESUS DOES THE FATHER'S WILL DEMONSTRATING LOVE FOR HIS MOTHER AND WAS GIVEN A KING'S BURIAL
A CLEAR PURPOSEWHAT IS TRUE WISDOMTHIS IS THE GOD WE SERVEHANDLING RELIGIOUS OPPRESSIONDO EVERYTHING FOR THE LORDMAY OUR FACES SHOW LIKE AN ANGELARE YOU FEEDING YOUR FAMILY - OR BUILDING A CATHEDRAL?FREEDOM FROM SLAVERY AND FREEDOM FROM SINUNITY TAKES ACTIONTRY IT, IT WORKSGOD'S WORDA PSALM OF KING DAVIDJEWS AND GENTILES AND SALVATIONARE YOU COMFORTABLE ENOUGH?THE GREED OF GEHAZIWORSHIPPING A KNOWN GODGOD KEEPS HIS PROMISESREASONS WHY WE SHOULD PRAISE THE LORDGOD'S AMAZING CREATION